Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Here and There :)

It's Tuesday, y'all!  You know what that means... only THREE days until Spring Break!!  We are celebrating Dr. Seuss like many of you this week.  

Today we read The Cat in the Hat and wrote what we would do if we were Mr. Cat himself.  It was fun reading what my kiddos would do!


You can get the writing paper HERE and use it all throughout the year!
 Today we started fractions by learning parts of a group.  It's always a shock when we go from spending 2-3 weeks on a concept... we get it down, are in the flow and then BOOM... time to learn something new!  I start out very basic with counters.  We did lots of modeling and recording today!
 I gave each pair of students some apples- I bought these at Mardel.  They are two-sided (red/green) calendar cut-outs.  I told my students to split their apples into two equal groups and write the fractions to describe their apples.

 Easy-Peasy Lemon Squeezy :))
And, before I forget- I just made a new set of math stations for after Spring Break!  Now that we are doing math stations daily, I'm trying to add to my files :)

And that's it for me!  I hope you have a wonderful week!!!

11 comments:

Susan Efseaff said...

I love your Dr. Seuss Kids! We always make the cat with the hat on, but this is a cute twist. I'm getting ready to introduce fractions after spring break...great ideas! As always, Thanks for sharing!

Susan
Friendly Froggies

Courtney B said...

Thanks for the writing paper Amy! Your craft is so cute and I love that bunny on your math centers.

Alyse Clonts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miss Nelson said...

So cute! I'm off to check out your some bunny LOVES math. You make the best packets.

Dex Banner said...

Good writing and even a decent writer you are...great blog!

Kirsten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirsten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirsten said...

I want to find out more about how you do your math stations. I'll have to search your blog more! I also recently started getting back into blogging and got my blog a facelift! I want to kick it off with a giveaway of $20 of your TPT items. How would I do that? I've never done that before! Let me know :) Enjoy your Spring Break! Today I just got my 8th snow day haha
Kirsten
teachandinspiretheblog.blogspot.com

Katie Knight said...

Your Seuss kids are KEY-You-T!
Love Katie

Mary Simon said...

I am a second grade teacher and I just wanted to say thank you for all that you share! I visit your blog often for ideas and inspiration :) We just started our fraction unit and your resources have been beyond helpful! THANKS!

PS: Do you use a classroom blog for parent an/or students to access along with this site?

Patty said...

I LOVE your blog. You always provide many creative ideas. I work in Immersion classroom as well. The way you run your class inspired me a lot. Thank you for willing to share. :)