Sunday, June 2, 2013

Getting Ready for NEXT year!

One thing I love about my school is that I get to keep the walls in tact over the summer.  It's really, really, really nice to not have to worry about redoing my room in August every year.  I just have to move furniture around, organize, and put up the finishing touches when the new school year comes around!  Well, I have always loved my classroom and the theme I had going on, but I decided it was time for a change!  7 years ago I started with ladybugs, primary colors, etc.  I collected so much fun stuff that I just kept it for a while.  About a year ago, I started infusing brighter colors to give it a little bit of a *pop*!

So, that brings me to Friday of last week.  We were out of school and I decided, "I want to completely redo my room!"  *Why was I thinking about work over the weekend... because I'm a teacher, duh!*  Off to Hobby Lobby I went in search of some fun new fabrics.  I spent every extra moment last week taking down the old stuff, filling up trashcan after trashcan of junk (thankfully I'm the complete opposite of a hoarder), and putting up my fun finds!

Here's where I started...
 I won't fill up all of my bulletin boards before next year because I do want to leave room for student work, things I see over the summer, and those random ideas that just pop into my head!  However, I knew I just NEEDED a few things up that I was lacking this year.  

Here's my writing bulletin board!  Don't you just love that huge writing pencil?!  My sweet friend, Lindsey, has that as a freebie on her blog!  Seriously, stop what you are doing right now and go print it :)  I also love this writing bulletin board set from A Cupcake for the Teacher.  My plan is to introduce each piece of the bulletin board one at a time, and mark it with some type of sticker or bulletin board decal as we've practiced it in class.  I'll let ya know how that goes :)
 Now onto my Word Wall!  I used these letters from my newest unit, "Get Your Chevron On!"  I'm all about easy cutting, so squares are my friend, ha!
 An up-close look at the word wall headers!
 This is the little area above my sink.  I just changed out the fabric and border, but left the same BB pieces up!
 It was also time for me to get some organization going on!  These labels (plus LOTS more) are in my Chevron Unit as well!  I still have a lot to do when it comes to organization, but this was a great way to start!
 A better look at the labels...
 Keeping with the chevron theme, I also made my Table Numbers to hang above each table.  Also available in my Chevron pack!
 Back to Mrs. Cupcake, I just LOVE her Reading Bulletin Board Kit.  These little posters are perfect for my new theme, AND will help guide us when we are having our book talks!  I'm going to die-cut stars that we will add to each poster once I have introduced a new skill/strategy.  
 And, my last board to show you for today!  I found this wiry ribbon at Hobby Lobby and just had to have it.  This is right behind my teacher table/computer so I'll put my name and pictures of my family in this area.  I love how the ribbon adds a 3-dimensional look to it!  I think I'll go get some more for other areas of my room :)
Wanting to add some Chevron stuff to your classroom?  I still have a lot to add from my pack, so I'll keep posting those pictures!  You can click HERE or below to check this little decor unit out :)

I still have 4 more days of school, so my plan is to get as much ready as I can!  Who wants to work over the summer when you can lay out and swim with this cutie pie?!
That's what I thought!!!  Work hard now so that I can play later!!!

49 comments:

Emily said...

Love the colors in your classroom :) Great job!

Dawn said...

Everything you've done looks great! I love all the color and organization!

Dawn
Adventures in First with Mrs. Key

The Tongass Teacher said...

I love it! And the ribbon definitely adds a little extra zing! Stop by when you have a chance!

Teaching in the Tongass

First year kinder teacher said...

Wow!! Your room is starting to look so colorful and beautiful and your daughter is just soo adorable.

Ariane Huddleston said...

I have the same circular fabric on my wall from Hobby Lobby! It's too perfect!

Lita Lita said...

I definitely need to start buying fabric for my bulletin boards.

Mrs. Lindsey said...

Everything is so stinkin' cute!!
Love it!
Lindsey
Lovin’ Kindergarten

Sara Connell said...

I love your room! I wish that I had bulletin boards so I could staple fun background fabrics up.
Sara
First Grade Funtastic

The Polished Teacher said...

Love the bulletin boards covered in fabric! Such a fun pop of color! I am off to get that giant pencil posted! Thanks so much for sharing!

The Polished Teacher

Shelly Sitz said...

Your room looks amazing! I love the ribbon around your bulletin board. I like using fabric for bulletin boards---it doesn't fade and adds so much color.

Shelly
Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

Oceans of First Grade Fun said...

I love it!!! You have inspired me to do a little changing of my own...I love those Hobby Lobby fabrics!!!

Lovely Nina said...

WOW Amy! You are so lucky you can keep your bulletin boards up…I wish I could….I love all the colors you chose-they pop!!!
-Lovely Nina

Lovely Little Learners

Kirsten said...

I am so excited that I found your blog! In August I will start my first year of teaching...drumroll please...SECOND GRADE!! I am so excited and also overwhelmed :) Any advice would be greatly valued and appreciated :) I LOVE your chevron pack! It has been added to my TPT wishlist! I also LOVE your organization!
Mrs. Wilson's Class

Mrs. Griffith said...

I hear horror stories about teachers having to take ALL their stuff down and it just makes me cringe! So thankful we don't have to do that either. Your room looks great with all the new and bright colors!!

Lindsay
For the Love of First Grade

Kristy said...

Love the new look of your room, and am totally jealous of teachers who are allowed to use fabric! Our fire marshall does not allow us to have fabric in the classroom, and actually limit the amount of paper we can have on the walls to 20% of our wall space. It's crazy! Oh yeah - and we're not allowed to decorate our windows! (We don't have hallways). Makes me crazy! Love, love, love all your stuff. Have a wonderful summer with your cutie patootie!

Lindsay said...

Your room looks great so far! I definitely need to get some fabric for my boards next year. I love the patterns you chose! They add so much to the room.

Alisha Colon said...

Amy,
I LOVE your writing bulletin board! I'm needing a change in my room this year- you're giving me inspiration!

And man, it would be hard to work when you have that cutie pie Joelle to play with!

Have fun!
Alisha
First Grade Follies

Jordan said...

Love your new classroom decorations! The Writing I Can Bulletin looks wonderful! I want to create something like that for my room this year. Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

Jordan
Team V's First Grade Fun

Carrie said...

Our Fire Marshal nixed fabric about five years ago too. (As well as curtains and those cute table skirts. And stuff hanging from the ceiling. :( ) I decided to paint my bulletin boards a couple of years ago, and I will never go back to paper! Unfortunately, all of the rules means I can't be as cute as I want to be, but since I'm decorationally challenged, it's probably a good thing. :-)

Amanda Pauley said...

Your room looks great. I really love the fabric on your word wall bulletin board. I am going to be changing up my room this year as well. Thanks for the great inspiration!! :)

Amanda
Mrs. Pauley’s Kindergarten

Jenni Taylor said...

Could you come and decorate my room? I have a pool so you can swim with your adorable little one afterwards! Seriously, your room looks absolutely awesome!

Anonymous said...

Do you ever worry about the bright patterned fabric and bright patterned posters on top of the fabric distracting the students?

Kelly said...

That must be a wonderful feeling to leave for summer knowing you have a head start for the next year. I'm just starting to purge and pack on Tuesday and I have a big job ahead of me because I'm changing rooms. I get tired just thinking about it.

Your boards look fantastic!

Kelly
I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

Chrissy + Nate said...

Cute cute CUTE! Love the colors and patterns!

Chelsea O'Neal said...

OOHHH I LOVE the Moroccan fabric!!! That is MY new obsession ;) Where did you find it??

Your room is SO CUTE!!

Tammy said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new classroom bulletin boards. They are so inviting. Thanks for sharing. I am moving building so I have a new room to decorate and I am thinking a new theme would be a good beginning.
Tammy

Mrs. Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis

Mrs Cupcake said...

Oooh, I love your fabric choices!! Your BBs look awesome {and thank you for the sweet shout!}! You're so lucky to be able to decorate ahead of time!!
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

M said...

I LOVE the polka dots! It would go fantastic with the popsicle fabric I just bought...I have to move into a portable from the best classroom I was ever in (28 years of teaching) and I won't have the board space I am used to :( We don't have Hobby Lobby in CA so I will have to try another store for the dots. 2 weeks to go here!

Melissa Handschuh said...

Loving the bright colors. That's how I'm decorating my room this year!

Elizabeth Supan said...

Everything looks amazing! I especially love the 3-D look to your boarder by using ribbon.
Elizabeth
Fun in Room 4B

Mrs. Pollard said...

I just love what you've done so far. I just moved classrooms so I'm trying to re-situate all of my furniture and then I'll move on to boards!

I've got a great giveaway opportunity right now on my blog. Just choose 3 products you'd like in your classroom from Mardel.com and blog about it. This site has great teaching products! Check it out: http://www.teacheristatales.blogspot.com/2013/05/classroom-products-giveaway.html

Ms.M said...

I get to leave stuff up during the summer too. Though I took most of my stuff down. MY boards are interactive and I start the year with diff thing on them. Then as the year progresses, we add and change out.

Anyway, I LOVE your writing board. I would just be over the moon if you could tell me more about it. Like what gets introduced first, does it ever change, etc...
msk1ell(at)gmail(dot)com
Mels

Erin said...

I am LOVING that wire ribbon around your BB! My school also allows us to keep our bulletin boards up during the summer, this year I covered the whole boards with butcher paper to prevent dust from settling on the borders and fabric background. :)

I ADORE your blog and have become your newest follower! Thank you for the inspiration and for sharing!
xoxo
Erin
Short and Sassy Teacher

t. ulch said...

WOW! Your classroom looks great! Love that ribbon idea! I really like your Chevron pack! The table signs hanging is a great idea! Why does the sign for Table 3 look upside down?? Funny! You are an inspiration!
tjulch@mpsomaha.org

amy.lemons said...

The sign for table 3 was upside down, but I fixed it already :)

Debra Rogers said...

Cute and wonderful. Thanks for getting my brain into idea mode. Today was our last day, and already I am getting ideas for next year.

Ms.Danielle said...

I love your classroom! I am totally going to use your Writing board idea! :)

Amber Carlson said...

Hi Amy~ WHERE did you get your border- specifically the green one that you have bordering your big blue board? TIA! I'm dying to get some!

zain ul abidin kk said...

Any thing you want in Entertainment for Fun... Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and Much More Fun Only on 1 Current Affairs Network
hotcurrentaffairs.com

Heather Berga said...

I love your fabrics! That makes me want to redo my room too! I don't have a Hobby Lobby near me, but maybe I will try JoAnn's.

First Grade in the Desert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Second Grade in the Desert said...

Love! You have given me some inspiration for making some changes in my room...thanks for sharing!

Tanya

Ms Apple Blossoms said...

I've only been on summer break since Friday but as all teachers, I'm lookin' out for next year :) Love your BBs!! I have that writing set and since I ADORE that pencil, I DID stop RIGHT THEN and ran over to download it...love it! Thank you for sharing!

~ Ms Apple Blossoms
Apple Blossoms

Anonymous said...

This year was the first year we could leave up our BB's up. I love your room. The writing wall is a big inspiration for me to get busy. I teach first grade and it will be so helpful to my students. I've fell in love with common core writing. I'm redoing my writing center in my room this year and need ideas. I did stop and ran over to download and print the pencil. I LOVE it! Thank you! my room is safari/jungle theme and i'm trying to add more bright colors to give it some POP. Any suggestions?????

Stacy said...

Amy where did you buy your borders from? Your BBs look amazing and refreshing!

Barbara said...

I have used fabric to cover BB for years. To make it really taught, just take a rather damp clean sponge and rub over the material. It will shrink it and look perfectly! Love your choice of fabric and your ideas. Have a wonderful year :)

Barbara said...

I have used fabric to cover BB for years. To make it really taught, just take a rather damp clean sponge and rub over the material. It will shrink it and look perfectly! Love your choice of fabric and your ideas. Have a wonderful year :)

Ginny said...

I have been thinking about getting my classroom ready, and I found this link through Pinterest. I love the idea of fabric covered bulletin boards, off to the fabric store tomorrow! But I'm also enjoying every single minute with my two girls before summer slips away. Hope you have an incredible year.

Second Grade Serenity said...

I came across your area robots and just wanted to say thanks for sharing. I need to teach area next week and our curriculum only has one lesson on it. The robots will be perfect!