Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Money, Money, Money!!!

Remember last week when I said, "What would you say if I told you that I could be meeting my daughter for the first time next week?! "  Well, I'm obviously here and I have not met my daughter yet.  Sadsville.  BUT, we are getting closer everyday AND you can read all about those updates {HERE} on my personal blog.  

The hubby and I are trying to enjoy the last few days as a couple before we become parents.  I bought this fun chalkboard at Hobby Lobby for 50% off... HOLLA!  Can't wait to take pics of the little girl in front with some neat quotes and sayings :)
 
Since I ended up having a little more time than I had thought, I knew it was time to get busy on a money unit.  I LOVE making math units because I know that textbooks offer pretty much no fun when it comes to teaching math.  When I started teaching 2nd grade I realized that our math curriculum was lacking BIG TIME.  So, that's when I started making my lesson plans and materials from scratch.

To answer a few questions that I often get:
1.  I do NOT use textbooks or any kind of math curriculum in my class.  We are allowed to chose whether we would like to use the student textbooks.
2.  My district tells us when to teach the different standards, BUT we are allowed the freedom to teach how we want to.  They do provide resources and ideas, but we are not forced to teach a certain way.
3.  I have about 1 to 1 1/2 hours of math time each day.  This normally consists of 15-20 minutes of whole group instructions, 30 minutes of partner/group work, 15-30 minutes of independent work.
4.  I teach in Texas, therefore I do NOT have to even glance at the Common Core Standards.  However, I do check them out before I make a unit (if I have time) and from what I hear, my units normally end up matching the standards pretty well.  

Okay, now back to the money thing.  First of all, I've created a little money math station for you for FREE!  Click on the pics below or HERE to download!


 And, here's my money unit!  This is more lessons and activities rather than games/stations.  If you want some great, hands-on money stations you should definitely check out Cara Carroll's "The Great Coin Collection" because it is awesome!  Also, I am so NOT into worksheets, so you won't find much of those in my unit either :)
 Here's a more detailed look of what's included:

From what I gather it does meet the Common Core Standard:  CCSS.Math.Content.2.MD.C.8 Solve word problems involving dollar bills, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies, using $ and ¢ symbols appropriately. Example: If you have 2 dimes and 3 pennies, how many cents do you have?

And for us Texas teachers, it meets the TEKS:  (5)  Number and operations. The student applies mathematical process standards to determine the value of coins in order to solve monetary transactions. The student is expected to:
(A)  determine the value of a collection of coins up to one dollar; and
(B)  use the cent symbol, dollar sign, and the decimal point to name the value of a collection of coins.

Here are some fun videos for counting coins:



20 comments:

Leigh Langton said...

Amy-your new Money unit looks FAB! I just added it to my wish list on Tpt! (Have to find out when we teach money and when my sub will have my room mom in so she can help laminate and cut out that free money center!) Thank you so much for sharing! Hope you get word on your travel dates soon! I know the wait must almost seem unbearable, but everyday you're not traveling is another day you are recovering and getting stronger for her! Best of luck!

alawson said...

Thanks! Love it!

alawson said...

Thanks! Love it!

Steph said...

Love the money unit! Still praying you get to bring home your new little munchkin ASAP :)

~Steph

Sparkly, Quirky Lifebox
The Quirky Apple

Michelle Hudgeons said...

I was so hoping to see some little cheeks in this post!!! How exciting that it is happening soon!!
The unit looks amazing!!
Michelle @ Smitten With First

Sarah Hankinson said...

Thanks for the freebie! I teach first in Virginia, so we also don't have common core standards. I can think of several ways to use the cards and the videos are great!

Sarah
smbhankinson@gmail.com
Learning is for Superstars
FB page

Ms. Cranfill said...

I SO wish I could say the same things about textbooks and my district. We were given a math series and told to follow it exactly. They also do not tell us what order to teach anything in, which makes it difficult for those that move within the district. Let's just say I'm super jealous!

Ms. Cranfill's Class

Jaimie Gable said...

This is awesome! Thank you!!

Rachel Lamb said...

oh, still no chubby cheekies! Soon, soon! Then you can relax and enjoy it cause it flies by! and of course you knew I was getting ready to start money!!
Rachel

Amy said...

Thanks for the explanation of how your district handles the curriculum. I had been wondering. We have a textbook that we are expected to complete in a specific order according to a pacing chart which leaves almost no room for extra/different activities. But, I am still squeezing some in! Best wishes on traveling to Africa soon!

Amy Howbert said...

Money units look so great! Hoping your long awaited day comes so soon, God's timing is perfect!


Amy Howbert
Little Miss Organized
amyhowbert1@gmail.com

A Traveled Teacher said...

Amy, I can't wait to snatch up your money unit! I just love your stuff! Thanks for all the great freebies too!

Mrs Cupcake said...

Thank you for the freebie!! It looks great, and so does your unit!!! I hope you'll be kissing little J's cheeks REALLY soon!!!
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

Ramon Abajo said...

I am teaching Money this week in my first grade class. This lesson looks fantastic. What an amazing resource!


Best,
Ramon
Fonts 4 Teachers
Fonts 4 Teachers in TPT


JoyBelle said...

This came at the perfect time - so perfect I could cry! Struggling to find fun things and I think this will be fun for my daughter!!!

Kirby Dudley said...

I am student teaching in 2nd grade and your blog (especially the money unit) is SUCH a blessing to me! You sound like a FABULOUS teacher! :)

Loved reading your personal blog on your adoption as well! Praying God works everything out so your precious daughter can come home soon!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the freebie. My kids struggled with money at the beginning of the year I I realized that I had to go outside of my curriculum as well and the results were amazing. Sometimes we as teachers know what's best for our students.

Jennifer
Darling Little Learners

Comincioli said...

I am so excited to use your unit! We are starting money next week. It's one of my favorite unit to teach and I'm excited to have some more hands on activities for my 2nd graders.

Hope your daughter arrives soon!! Best of luck!

Carrie
Table Talk With C & C

Tiff said...

Amy,
Love your stuff, and have bought it many times!!! You are a super creative gal. It is a blessing to read this blog and your personal blog. Do you or anyone else know where I can find plastic coins that look like the new coins? We live in Saudi Arabia, but teach at an American School. We use Go Math, but it doesn't have the new coins. :( Don't message me at this account though. I don't use it for email anymore. Email me at tflanders@isgdh.org Thanks!!!

Cyndi Lacy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.