Thursday, January 17, 2013

Getting ready for Valentine's Day?! Already?!

What would you say if I told you that I could be meeting my daughter for the first time next week?!  God has been REALLY good to us, and my neurosurgeon has given me the OK to travel to Africa!  I am on cloud nine right now, that's for sure!  We are just waiting on the "green light" from our agency to purchase our plane tickets!  I really hope that next time you check my blog you will be meeting my precious girl for the first time :)

So, knowing that I won't be at school for Valentine's Day, I started kicking things into high gear.  Even though I can travel to get my girl, I am not released to go back to work until after my check-up in March.  But, just like Christmas, I really don't want my kids to miss a thing just because I can't be there in person.  So, I started to get things ready for them {being home-bound has really given me lots of time to get ahead,ha!}

I got the things together for their little goodie bags... no time for Pinterest inspired homemade crafts, cards, or snacks.  Went to Hobby Lobby where all their V-Day goodies were 30% off and put the most random of things in my basket!
Then, I stuffed them all, tied 'em up, and delivered to the school :)
I also made my February Centers for my class.  I want to make sure my sub has enough centers until I return, so I got busy!

Side-note:  I've had a lot of questions about how I store my centers.  Normally, I used gallon-sized Ziploc baggies, but I tried something new this time.  I put the directions on top of a manilla envelope...
Inside, I put the contents needed (cards, student recording sheets, etc)
And, voila!  Now, they are all kinds of sturdy and ready to go!  5 math centers...
I call that a success!  Valentine's baggies and centers ready a month early... Holla!  You can check these out in my TpT store!  They are really easy to prep and put together!

In other news, here's a little peek into what my week has looked like...

We actually got some snow on Monday!  Woke up to a frozen backyard and an unfinished pool :(
One of my sweet teacher friends showed me this book and I bought it IMMEDIATELY!  The Mr. is a HUGE Bob Marley fan, so this was a definite must!
Every little girl needs stick-on earrings, right?!  These came in the mail this week, and I can't wait for her to put them to good use!  I loved these as a little girl :)

You still have a few hours to enter my GIVEAWAY!  I will probably just email the winner and post it on my fb page :)  I'm in a mad rush to get packed for my trip!  



32 comments:

Mrs. Schlickbernd said...

I love putting centers into Manila folders. I usually glue the cover sheet/directions on then laminate them. Awesome! In fact, I used this trick with your I Can Regroup centers and it worked perfectly! Great news on your adoption. I have enjoyed following your journey and continue to pray for safe travel for all of you!

Mrs. Schlickbernd said...

I meant to write envelopes, NOT folders! Yikes! :)

sparkybarby said...

I'm so excited that you will be meeting your daughter soon. Boy do I remember my son's gotcha day. Enjoy the moment. Your life will be forever changed in such an amazing way.

Leigh Langton said...

This is the BEST NEWS AMY! I am so excited for you! God has truly heard your prayers! Your heart will never feel the same! Atleast that's how I felt when I met my son for the first time. :) Love your new centers! If I don't win them... I can't wait to purchase 'em and send them in for my sub to use (I'm on maternity leave until march) Best of luck and I hope you get the green light soon!

Sarah Hankinson said...

So excited for you that you are able to travel! Looking forward to your post with your daughter!

Sarah

Emily said...

Love your little goodie bags! You are SO prepared! :)

Emily
Simple Suburbia

The Brown-Bag Teacher said...

YAY! So happy for you, Amy. Safe travels and congratulations :)

Catherine
The Brown-Bag Teacher

Little Miss Primary said...

Amy--PRAISE GOD! :) I am so thankful for the Lord's kindness to you and your family!! Can't wait to see your little one!

Erin
Little Miss Primary

Lisa Giuliano said...

I follow your blog.
God Bless you on your travels to meet your sweet girl!
Lisa
Teaching.on@gmail.com

Tara said...

That is incredible news!!! God is so good! I have been and will continue praying for you and your little girl! I'm so excited for you...how do you sleep...lol! Lots of prayers:)))))

4th Grade Frolics

Melissa said...

I am 40 years old and last year my parents delivered flowers to my classroom on the day they adopted me/picked me up. I was 6 weeks old and they still tell the story and tear up every time ! Best of luck to you and your growing family!

Lili said...

Oh my Gosh, dear Amy!!!! Those are great news, I'm so happy for you and your husband. Congratulations!!! I hope you'll post a picture of your J as soon as you can. Thanks a lot for sharing such wonderful new with us, and also a big thank you for sharing such an awesome way to put away your centers. You're a really clever girl ;)

Lili
Sweet Blessings & Learning Treats

Chantelle Jacobs said...

Amy, I just got goose bumps reading about you and your new little gift from Africa! I just wanted to say all the very best - have a safe journey and WELL DONE! You guys really deserve it!

Can't wait to see some pics when you get back.

XXX
Chantelle
Little Learners

Sarah said...

I do a little of both with storing my centers...manilla envelopes and baggies. I like both.
I love those stick on earrings! I loved them as a kid too! :) So excited for you to get your cutie!

Sarah
teachingiscolorful.blogspot.com

Dynamic Duo 1 and 2 said...

Your sub must love you for being so on top of things! I am so excited for your new journey with your new precious girl. Thanks for keeping us updated! Prayers for a safe journey :)

Lauren
Dynamic Duo 1 and 2

Michelle Hudgeons said...

How precious! Cant wait to see pictures!!
Michelle @ Smitten With First

Across the Hall said...

I would say, "Yayyyyyy"!!!

You have so many people behind you, and we are all so excited for you!

God Bless,

Halle
Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

Amy Howbert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cherrie McCain said...

God is GREAT!!!! I can't wait to hear of how marvelous he is and will be in the next weeks for you and your family. Blessings to you as you travel.

Elizabeth said...

Blessings to you, Amy, on your new journey. I can't wait to see pictures of your precious girl.
I use envelopes for my centers, too. I've just found them to be more durable than anything else I've tried.

Take care and safe travels!!

Foxwell Forest said...

YAY!!! What great news! SO SO excited for you! :) The Lord's timing is always the best!! How sweet it will be to have your precious girl in your arms!

And Pinteresty or not, your kids are going to L.O.V.E. your Valentine gifts! Sometimes simple and easy is the best! And what a lucky sub to have so many great resources to use!

Praying for you as you embark on this next step of the journey! Enjoy His continued blessings and faithfulness along the way!

Becca
First Grade in Foxwell Forest

Amy Howbert said...

A few TEARS swelled, reading about you flying to get your girl!! God has a plan for everything, and you ALL will be the biggest blessing to each other!!
-had some editing there, oops!!

Amy Howbert
Little Miss Organized
amyhowbert1@gmail.com

Kristen said...

Oh Amy, I am so delighted for you!!!! Best wishes for a wonderful journey to meet your daughter!

I love your idea of using the envelopes, they seem like they will last nicely...plus they look great!

Kathy said...

Congratulations on your doubly great news! Safe travels and enjoy the first few moments with your sweet daughter!

Italian Villas for Rent said...

I just want to say you always something new through your innovative post and this again you share very innovative post keep it up.

Ms D. said...

Beautiful centers ! Time to get some extra rest before you meet your darling daughter ! Life will be changed...God Bless your travels !


Wendy

Andrea Cachina said...

I'd love to win this! Good luck and safe travels:)
Andrea Cachina
acachina@glnd.k12.va.us

JoyBelle said...

Heck yes to checking your blog when your little girl joins the family!!! How exciting!!!

And I love the manila folders. We use the file folders and I tape the cover sheet to the front, laminate all the stuff that I can reuse and put it in the folder and then in the file box. Phew! Gotta love organization!

Jennifer said...

How exciting! I can't wait to hear all about your daughter!

Jennifer
Darling Little Learners

Kimberley said...

I am so excited for you. I am so glad I found you and became your newest follower. Kisses from all of us!

Kimberley
First in Maine

shangrila farm house said...

I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with
in valuable information... Regards
Polished concrete sydney
floor levelling
concrete repairs
epoxy coatings
glue removal
concrete coatings
Atta ur rehman

Rameez Raja said...

That was an great article had a great time while reading this article
hope you may post in future are also these kind of interesting articles.
Architectural Walkthrough
Architectural Visualization
Architectural Rendering
3D Animation
Product Animation
3D Modeling
Corporate Presentation
3D Images
Real Estate Publicity
Multimedia Presentation