Sunday, October 28, 2012

Let's Be Thankful!

Our Texas weather here is so stinkin' up and down!  I want to start this post showing you just how cold it's been this weekend!  Some of our students from church ran in a cross country meet on Saturday morning, and it was FREEZING!  My Texas-self just wasn't ready for that!

Now, onto the educational stuff...

I realize that Halloween has not even come and gone, BUT Thanksgiving is also quickly approaching! SOOO, I just had to finish my Thanksgiving Literacy unit this weekend!  


I'm really excited about this unit because it will be SUPER easy to plug into my Reading plans for the weeks before Thanksgiving.  I used the 4 books below to coordinate with some of the activities.  And, I included a comprehension quick test for each book so that I can still get grades during the Holiday fun!  You can click on the images below to go to these books on Amazon!
     
    
And, y'all know by now that I can't make a unit without including some sort of craftivities!  So, here are some of my favorites...
  

     

Whether you have those books or not, there are still plenty of activities that you can use during your Thanksgiving unit.  Also, You'll find 5 Thanksgiving literacy centers, AND lots more!  My hope is that it will help you enjoy the holiday with your students, but also do engaging activities that go beyond the regular cutesy stuff!


Photobucket

12 comments:

Across the Hall said...

Looks like so much fun!!! I love activities that go along with books, and that have "some meat to them" {I couldn't think of a less awkward expression to use!}

This year is going by so fast!

Halle
Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

lovetwoteach said...

YAY!! I have been waiting to purchase my order on TPT for this unit. So awesome Amy, I just love all that you do :) Thanks so much for the wonderful unit, I can't wait to use it!!

Michelle Hudgeons said...

Eeeek!!!! Putting in my basket now!!
Michelle @ Smitten With First

Christy said...

I live in Mississippi and it's cold here too! The weather seemed to go from summer one day straight to winter the next...I love your blog! I've used so many of your things in my classroom.
Have a GrEaT week!
Christy
Mrs. Christy’s Leaping Loopers

Mrs Cupcake said...

This unit looks adorable!! I can't wait to use it!! :)
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

Susan Moran said...

These activities look GREAT! Thanks Amy :) I'm happy to say that it has been a lovely 75 degrees here in Vegas... and that is pretty "chilly" for us!

Susan
T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

cindi said...

Looks great. I will have to add it to my basket. ANother book I ADORE at Thanksgiving is "A TURKEY FOR THANKSGIVING" by Eve Bunting. It is just so dern cute and my ELLs just love it! I think I will spend some time this week doing some activities to go with it. It seems TPT is flooded with holiday units, but hey, I guess there are tons of teachers looking for different ideas. My problem is, I buy so many units I cannot begin to use them all or even pieces of them. I am thinking of joining TPTA..Teachers Pay Teachers Anonymous for those people who are spending the electricity money to buy more great units and graphics . Check out my blog. I am just beginning and need to get it boosted up more but I think it's funny...or informstive..or something. Heck, I just need a few followers so I don't feel like a Lloser!
Cindi
diaryofagratefulteacher.blogspot.com

tara said...

super cute! I'm on my way to check it out right now! :)

Heather's Heart said...

I am losing my mind Amy!!! I thought I left you a comment on this last night!!!

I love it all! The turkey fact and opinion is my favorite! Super Duper cute!!!

Thank you for being such an inspiration. I have stalked you for a long, long time and I am finally brave enough to leave you a comment.

If you get the chance, I would love for you to come and check out my post about letting your Pumpkin Light Shine...it makes me think of you and how God is using you to touch so many hearts. =)

Heather
Heather's Heart

Jen Hansen said...

Hi Amy,
Is the book "The Thanksgiving Surprise" the same as "The Turkey Surprise?"
Thanks.

sydney said...

Hey Amy - I thought I had your email, but I cannot find it anywhere. Sometime last year you had addition and subtraction true/false. I used it in my class yesterday and of course messed up and the kids used them all up even my original! I can't find the file anywhere. Any way you can help me out with what I am looking for? I can't find it on your blog anymore.

Thanks,
Sydney
sydcohn@gmail.com

Mark said...

If you want to do a compare and contrast book with your students there is an easy reference to use at http://www.scholastic.com/scholastic_thanksgiving/daily_life/. Great way to get compare and contrast into the curriculum.