Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Group Work "Jobs" and a SALE!

During this time of year I start to change up the way I do guided reading/reading groups.  The majority of my kiddos are well above grade level, so they are working on reading skills and strategies more than actually learning how to read.  It's such a neat transition to watch my students go from "learning how to read" to "reading to learn."  So, I have started mixing things up a bit.  

My groups that are above grade level get together each day to read through a story (chapter book, non-fiction book, or reader's theatre normally).  While those groups are working through the book together and completing pre/during/post reading activities, I am sitting with the kiddos that need a little extra help (and they are doing the same thing as the other groups, just on their level!).  So, right now when you walk in my room during reading groups, my kids are sitting with their groups, reading a book together, and talking (about the book, hopefully!).

With that being said, it can get a little noisy and off-topic during this time (which makes it difficult for me to focus on the group I am meeting with at the time!).  So, I've decided to give each person a job for their group. Tomorrow, before we head to reading groups, I will explain and assign reading group jobs!  Each student will wear their "job chain" around their neck so that they remember what is expected of them.

Here are the job chains:

The back of each chain has a the explanation:

You can click on the pictures below to download a copy of these!  I just cut all of the circles out, glued them to black construction paper (put the picture on one side and the expectation on the other), laminated, punched a hole, and used yarn for the chain!  I DESPISE cutting out circles, but sometimes rectangles can be a little pokey, so I figured it was worth the extra time.



{Clipart and Fonts courtesy of DJ Inkers}

I realize that this won't solve all of my problems, but my students are pretty good about keeping up with their classroom jobs, so I'm hoping this will be a success as well!  I do go around and talk with each group as they are working so that I am still meeting with all of my kiddos.  I also plan on using these with my struggling group even though I am with them for the majority of the time.  I'm hoping this will help give them a little confidence and allow them to take ownership of their time together!

I will also use these jobs anytime we do group work!

On another note, My TPT store will be on sale from March 29th through March 31st!  So, starting tomorrow enjoy an extra 20% off of my things!  


I hope you have an awesome Thursday and Friday!  The end is near, my friends!
Photobucket

28 comments:

YearntoLearn said...

What a cute way to reinforce cooperative learning.


Yearn to Learn Blog

Casey Turner said...

I like the idea of having them wear their jobs. I give mine note cards but its just one more thing for theme to keep up with! Awesome idea! :)

Casey
Second Grade Math Maniac Blog

Casey Turner said...

grr . . for them . . . not theme, I really need to go to bed!

Katie said...

I love this idea! Unfortunately, I do not think my 6th graders would be too keen on wearing a necklace. Maybe I could do something with them drawing their job stick each day.

Miss Klohn
Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

Christie said...

Hey Amy! These are super-cute! You have sooo many adorable things in your TpT shop-can't wait to head over for the sale!
Christie :)
First Grade Fever

Miss J said...

What a cute idea Amy!! Thanks for sharing!!

Miss J
Smiles, Crayons, and Endless Stories

Miss Squirrels said...

We should make necklaces for us, as teachers...could you imagine how many we would wear...teacher, parent, nurse, counselor....lol
Staci

Going Nutty!

misssquirrels@yahoo.com

Lindsey (The Teacher Wife) said...

you must have been inspired to post this! some of my high readers are having a hard time staying on task during reading time. thanks!

Mrs. Sheehan said...

You have totally inspired me to start teacher blogging! I love all your stuff! I purchased some of your files from TPT and they have been awesome! The kids have loved them. I will be adding pictures of my student work. Looking forward to the sale!

Jodi said...

Love the necklaces. What a great idea!!

Jodi
fun-in-first.blogspot.com

diditeach said...

Oh my, I LOVE this idea !! I am at school on my break and just finished Guided Reading....always trying to keep it fresh and change it up. You are a mind reader and inspire me soooooo much ! I can never say enough, THANK YOU for sharing so generously.

Amy said...

I love your classroom job necklaces that you made. I love to use jobs as a classroom management technique.

Amy

The Crazy Adventures of a University Graduate
The Crazy Adventures of Two Quilters

Amanda said...

Fabulous idea, Amy! Thanks for the freebie! :)

Kristi Luckenbaugh said...

Love this! These will work wonderfully in my classroom! Thanks Amy!

Kristi
One Lucky Teacher

Jennifer said...

This is a great idea! These are very cute!

Jennifer
The First Grade Dream

Jamie said...

I love this! This will work wonders during my literature circles! Thank you :)

Jamie at 2nd Grade Stuff

Debbie said...

Love, love, these... I will printing and laminating tonight!

Thank you!

Megan Roberts said...

This is a great idea. I like that as a necklace, it is very visual and each student in the group can be aware of the assigned jobs. Thank you for sharing!

MJ @ Teaching in Heels said...

Thank you for sharing! Love this idea...

Jane said...

I am wondering if you would be willing to share your ppt or doc file for these, so that I could use the circles to create my own? This gave me an idea to use for a training this summer. Thanks!

Monica said...

I've done something similar in the past but yours is much cuter! We put them in name badge covers. LIke yours better. I'm your newest follower! :)
Monica
www.402schoolhouselane.blogspot.com

Jen Sykes (Hello Mrs. Sykes) said...

Super cute! I'm going to try this next week!! :)
~Jen
Hello Mrs Sykes

Erin said...

Super cute! These would be great in my room! I'm a new blogger, and first year teacher, and am having my first giveaway! I'd love for you to become a follower! :)

Erin


Elementary Adventure

Amy said...

Love it, just like all of your stuff! I just noticed you are now #5 on the TPT top seller list! Way to go (glad I could help get you there, too)! What an awesome way to use the money you're making, too!

Rachel Seymour said...

These are great! I created a Literature Circle Pack for all of my kiddos to have jobs in their Reading Groups. I agree with you- it's so much to see them reading to learn and focusing more on strategies! My Lit Circle Pack is available at my TpT store!

I'm also having a giveaway until tomorrow night and I'm part of the Spring Break Giveaway with you! :)

Rachel
A-B-Seymour

Andrea said...

The job chains are adorable! Thank you for sharing! Also congrats on being the feature teacher on the TpT newsletter!

Andrea
Cheers To School

Amy said...

Thanks for ALL of your great ideas! I just found out I'll be teaching 2nd instead of 1st next year, so you're blog is certainly bookmarked many times on my favorites. Thank you!

Amy
Krazy About Kiddos

Dempsey's Journey said...

These are awesome I started using them this school year so far so good. I am introducing one job a week and it has been a great help. I have a small request would it be possible to make one that says points manager. Their job is to manage the points their table earns during the day? I would love it if you could create a matchy one for me. :)